What is Kordon?
Often when homeowners find evidence of termite activity in their home, the termites have already been present for some time. It is only through the damage they have caused that they actually become visible to the homeowner. This is because termites typically travel out from their nest in search of food via underground tunnels than can extend up to 100m away from the home.
Kordon is a product designed by Bayer that is installed in your home while it is being built to ensure termites cannot enter your home through the foundations.
It is a flexible and durable laminate sheet that is applied to critical areas of your home during the construction process, in order to protect your home from termites trying to enter through underground tunnels.
Kordon Termite Barrier achieves this through;
- Providing a physical and chemical barrier between your home and the soil beneath.
- Kordon is comprised of two layers of robust flexible laminate, with a chemical called deltamethrin in between, which is highly repellent to termites.
- Kordon is installed under your home during the construction process and layered into areas where termites may seek easy access to your home.
- Termites, unable to enter your home via underground means, are forced to travel above ground where their over ground tunnels are visible.
- This ensures termites will be detectable by a Bayer accredited pest control professional during the annual inspection where the appropriate steps can be taken towards protecting your home from termites.
What is deltamethrin?
Deltamethrin is the active ingredient in Kordon that sits between the two layers of laminate. It repels termites and in high enough doses or long enough exposure is fatal to termites. Deltamethrin is a pesticide from the group known as synthetic pyrethroids (SP). SPs are a common group of pesticide with low toxicity to animals and humans.
Because of its low toxicity deltamethrin is safe for use to use in domestic situations and is the active ingredient in many pesticides sold for home use, as well as used in sensitive constructions such as primary schools and aged care facilities.